Forums Questions or bug reports Chern Number Calculations

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Ali Dehghan
      Participant

Dear Dr. QuanSheng and all users,

Hope you are well. I was interested to study the topological properties of a compound in 3D half-Heusler structure. To start, I performed an accurate DFT calculation (with Quantum-Espresso) and extracted the spin-polarized band structure according to the band.pdf attachment file. This figure reveals that one of two spin channel (majority-channel) has two important characteristics: 1) the Dirac behavior in Gamma point and 2) the band inversion of d- and p-orbitals in the ascending order of energy (first the d-states and then the p-states are occupied). As you probably know, these two indications are necessary for a topological (or Chern) insulator. In the following, using the Wannier90 and then Wanniertools, I tried to calculate the Chern number of the compound. I should mention that the band structure calculations with these codes produced expected results. Contrary to my expectation, the chern number became zero. That’s why I doubted my calculations. I request that you, if possible, please check whether the input files are correct or not. Any suggestions are welcome. Please find the attached files.

I would appreciate your prompt response.

Sincerely yours,

Ali Dehghan,

Shiraz university, Iran.

Brook
      Keymaster

Hi Ali,

It’s not the problem with your input files. It’s about physics.

The Chern number should be Zero for each TRIM plane. That’s because the inversion is not caused by the spin-orbit coupling, i.e. the inversion is trivial.

Best regards,

QuanSheng

Ali Dehghan
      Participant

​Dear Dr. QuanSheng,

Thanks for your reply despite your busy scientific schedule. If I understood correctly, once we have a Chern insulator when the band inversion was caused by the SOC. This is interesting and important to me. Can you provide a good reference for this claim, please? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Sincerely yours,

Ali Dehghan,

Shiraz University, Iran.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Ali Dehghan.
Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Visiting: 3,432 views